Thank you for joining us to volunteer to canvass registered Dems for a few hours. Here’s what will happen.
- Please plan to arrive and sign in at 12 noon.
- If you have canvassed with CalAway before, you can pick up your walk packet at that point and go out. We can match you with a partner if you don't have one.
- If you haven't attended a CalAway event before, we will train you in our program before you go out. We can match you with a partner if you don't have one.
- 12 - 4 pm - Go and knock on 25 doors (on average). Then come back and tell us about it!
- After 4 pm(Optional) - Please join us for a light snack and the good company of your fellow canvassers
After you RSVP with an email address, we send you an email with the location of our staging area. Note: the starting address can change with EACH canvass, so be sure you RSVP for each date you plan to do in order to get the correct starting address. In El Dorado County, we plan to canvass in El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, and Placerville.
Many registered Democrats do not vote! Some are inconsistent; they voted in 2012 and 2016 for president, but not in 2014, the midterms. In 2008, Democrat Charlie Brown lost to Republican Tom McClintock by 1800 votes. And over 9300 registered Dems did not vote! Voters skip elections for many reasons; life happens. But we want to activate these registered Dems to show up and vote in 2018!
That’s where you come in.
Our project between now and November 2018 is to knock on the doors of these "midterm skipping" voters and ask them to recommit to voting. There are over 1900 of them in El Dorado Hills and Cameron Park alone! Canvassers remind these Dems of the importance of their vote and have them complete a voting reminder postcard that we’ll mail to them before the June and November elections, a proven method of helping folks follow through with that commitment to vote.
In our Congressional race as we work to replace Tom McClintock with a candidate who represents our values, it is vital we get every possible Democrat to the polls. Just as critical, Dems showing up at the polls will help our important local races too.
You’ll have a canvassing packet of 25 or so registered Democrats who skip midterms; many of them won’t be home. Our previous canvassing work suggests that for every 2 registered Democrats you do speak to, 1 will say yes. It's a lot easier than registering new voters!
Please note that you do NOT need to know anything about candidates or issues; our purpose is a quick conversation about importance of getting Dems to the polls.
Thank you for making a REAL Difference in 2018!
CalAway – El Dorado County